?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Dear Government: Look, we're having a really hard time of things.… - CERisE's Testing for L

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

October 9th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
07:49 am
Dear Government:

Look, we're having a really hard time of things. We've had a working relationship for around 25 years now and we've had our share of bumps. I've been lousy with paperwork and I know how being disorganized like that bothers you. I've really tried to work with that and be on time with things. I've apologized profusely and I think we've come to terms about it.

But there's still little things you do which really bother me. For example, when I'm driving along at the speed limit and a cop turns onto a street and makes a beeline to follow me in my red sports car. They have places to go too. That's OK.

But when I approach an intersection and the cop hangs back so that he can follow me after I change lanes to make a left turn, there's a problem. I'm minding my own business and I'm obeying laws. I even put my turn signal on. Furthermore, when I pull over to the right to park and he slows down as he goes by and gives me a look -- well...let's just say it makes me uncomfortable and demonstrates a lack of good faith on your part.

There's one other thing I wanted to address. I feel like I've been misled. We sent troops to Afghanistan to clean up a government which supported terrorism. Then we sent troops to Iraq. You told me that they had weapons of mass destruction. You said that that we couldn't wait for the "smoking gun" which would be a "mushroom cloud". You also claimed somewhat more tenuously that Iraq was a government which had a hand in 9-11.

To date, you've found a bag of castor beans from Mama Fatima, some aluminum tubes which you think might've been used for long range missiles, and a guy who might've been involved in a meeting with Al-Qaeda. Furthermore, you haven't stopped terrorism by doing so. Rather, you've encouraged it despite your best attempts at catching Osama bin Ladin and killing Zarqawi.

Now there's North Korea which has been threatening since '94. There's been real evidence that they're working on a nuclear program since 2002. And now all the rumors have been resolved. We have a "smoking gun". It's not a mushroom cloud, but rather a seismic tremor. To make matters worse, they're within missile range of us. I can't help but think that with all the time we've spent tied up in Iraq would've been better spent considering how to deal with North Korea. I've said that a number of times and so have other people who disagree with you.

(And I don't particularly care if it is just 550 tons of TNT -- that's still enough for a pretty nasty dirty bomb.)

Look, I don't want you to admit you're wrong or even that your point about avoiding nation-building during the debates was complete baloney. I just want you to make things right, but I'm really not sure how you're going to do so. A three-front war is inadvisable. Our military is already stretched thin building up a provisional government in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm just not sure what you want to do. I'm not sure that what you'll want to do will be a good idea and that worries me.

Since this is a democracy, I feel like I really need to let you know that I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to show faith. I'm starting to wonder if maybe this relationship isn't going to survive another 25 years.

-testing4l

(10 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:sakiroa
Date:October 9th, 2006 10:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's actually not confirmed yet. I bet Kim Jong-il is just spreading lies to get people to pay attention to him again.
[User Picture]
From:sakiroa
Date:October 9th, 2006 10:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
Least, from last I read from Wikipedia it wasn't.

Incidentally, as far as I know, evidence on NK's nuclear weapons program was really mostly just NK claiming they had one. But I don't keep up on this stuff. I admit massive ignorance on the subject.
[User Picture]
From:testing4l
Date:October 9th, 2006 03:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's not "confirmed" in the sense that no one we know was there to see it. Our spy satellites didn't see it either. Mostly because it was underground.

It did correspond to a seismic disturbance that was detected in the northeastern part of the country. So, if it wasn't a nuclear test, then it either disposal of about 550 tons of TNT or an earthquake that he's taking advantage of.

There's not a whole lot of reason to suspect either of those alternatives given that we know they have an active nuclear program.
[User Picture]
From:forestofglory
Date:October 9th, 2006 12:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Right now print that up and send a copy to your congress person and maybe your senators as well. (They might even have e-mail) It won't take very much time and it cant hurt.
[User Picture]
From:testing4l
Date:October 9th, 2006 04:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's unfortunately nowhere near the quality that I'd like it to be. I might spend some time on it though.
[User Picture]
From:forestofglory
Date:October 9th, 2006 07:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
People are always too hard on themselves :)
From:alchemy_gal
Date:October 9th, 2006 02:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I dont think this relationship is going to last another 25 years.
I think China is positioning itsself to be the next super power economically not simply population wise and perhaps they will deal with N Korea and then as we fall into economic and social collapse they will provide soloutions which no one will mind because it will restore the beer, cell phones and cable tv with sports package and walmart to every middle class household.

America isnt doing too well .. and it isnt getting better.
and I dont think I could name a single think tank with a soloution.

sigh
[User Picture]
From:testing4l
Date:October 9th, 2006 04:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Being a super power isn't like being immortal. There can be more than one and there's no reason it needs to be like we were with Russia during the cold war.

China isn't exactly pleased with North Korea either right now. They have acted as North Korea's lifeline of late, but I don't see any reason to assume that they'll deal with North Korea. Further, I don't see why that would cause us economic or social problems.

Really, North Korea is only a threat in the sense that they apparently have nuclear capability.

It is true that China has a greater industrial capability than us and they're doing a good job promoting the sciences, but don't discount our own capabilities. We still win most of the international competitions and we've dominated Nobel prize receipts of late.

Really, I hope that China lives up to the hype. We're not going to build a moon base, after all.
[User Picture]
From:babe_of_beyazit
Date:October 11th, 2006 07:29 am (UTC)
(Link)
I worry about the fate of our nation : (
[User Picture]
From:testing4l
Date:October 12th, 2006 11:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Don't worry! Do something!

Oh right -- you'll NEVER hold public office!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com